Verbal Behavior Approach: How to Teach Children with Autism and       Related Disorders [Mary Lynch Barbera]

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Blog: HBO film entitled "Temple Grandin"

A new HBO film entitled "Temple Grandin," will premier on February 6th. This movie details the life of animal researcher and autism advocate, Temple Grandin. Here is a blog about the movie which includes an interview with Temple written by a friend of mine, Chantal Sicile-Kira: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chantal-sicile-kira/temple-grandin-the-hbo-mo_b_420575.html.

I have always found Temple to be incredibly inspirational. For the past few years I have been working with Jodi Goren-Rode and Keystone Pictures to support Jodi’s effort in making a documentary about Temple Grandin. Here is a 5-minute video clip Jodi put together a few years ago available on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAu6_Llfh2A. This YouTube clip, which gives an overview of the documentary Jodi is producing, has been viewed over 24,000 times and gives a brief synopsis of the life and work of Temple. As I say in the clip, Temple is probably the most recognized person with autism in the world and has done many great things for the autism community.

I had the privilege of having lunch with Temple a year before I wrote my book. After I told her a little about myself (that I had a son with autism and became a BCBA to help others), she said “You should write a book!” It was an amazing experience to have lunch with Temple and she provided me with much hope and inspiration.

I also met Temple’s mother, Eustacia Cutler a few years later and, after reading my book (The Verbal Behavior Approach), Eustacia wrote the following endorsement which is available on my web site under book endorsements (http://www.verbalbehaviorapproach.com/book3.html) :

“Written with style, warmth and real know-how, Mary Barbera has managed to combine valuable therapeutic advice with her own eloquent story.”

Eustacia Cutler, Author
A Thorn in My Pocket: Temple Grandin's Mother Tells the Family Story

I am excited to see the HBO movie premiering Feb 6th! I’m sure as I watch the movie, I will learn much more about Temple’s life and work.

1 comment:

  1. I love the link you posted. She is such a neat lady. I have seen the trailer for the movie and wasn't thrilled with it. I hope the movie is better than the trailer. I did see some scenes in the trailer that I remember from reading her book, like when she went up in the attic and opened the door and how she came to believe in God. It's so fascinating to listen to articulate adults with autism and gives me hope for my son.

    ReplyDelete

email: mary@verbalbehaviorapproach.com